Marine Biology Internships in the Maldives
Internships at Marine Savers
We have some unique opportunities for you to join our experienced team of marine biologists in the Maldives, to continue your scientific research by collating real data from the field whilst gaining valuable work experience at our busy Centre.
- You will assist our Seamarc team of marine biologists with all conservation projects, and accompany guests on resort excursions.
- Duration of the internship is no less than 70 days and no more than 90 days (sorry, no exceptions).
- Working hours are 09:00 to 18:00, 6 days/week.
- No salary is given during this internship, and you will fund your own return international flights to/from Malé, Maldives.
The successful applicant will :
- Have a passionate interest in marine life and conservation.
- Be a post-graduate student (essential), currently studying for a higher degree (MSc, PhD or equivalent) in a relevant discipline (Marine Biology, Environmental Science, Aquaculture, Animal Care).
- Make a research project proposal, aligning interests with our conservation programmes.
- Present a completed project report to our team before departure.
- Be a confident swimmer and snorkeller (qualified diver preferred).
- Be a physically fit non-smoker (working long hours in the lagoon, and able to carry 20kg weight).
- Be fluent in both spoken and written English (extra languages an advantage).
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Coral Propagation – Collection of coral fragments, transplantation of the frame, maintenance and photography of existing frames. Interaction with guests and local children to educate about coral reefs.
- Turtle Conservation – Assist with turtle feeding and care of sick animals; clean pools and monitor health/growth.
- Guest Excursions – Marine life presentations and guided snorkel safaris; increase awareness of marine biology and conservation in the Maldives.
- Aquaculture (where appropriate) – Assist in our Fish Lab (including tank cleaning, fish feeding, larval rearing, monitoring).
- Personal Project – Develop your personal project, ideally under supervision from your college/university. Prepare monthly illustrated progress reports (for our website), and present your project findings before departure.
Download our application form, follow the instructions and state your preferred placement dates (priority given to months earliest in the year):
|Kuda Huraa||Landaa Giraavaru|
|March||filled||open > 21-March|
|April||open > 21-April||- OPEN -|
|May||- OPEN -||- OPEN -|
|June||- OPEN -||- OPEN -|
|July||- OPEN -||- OPEN -|
|August||- OPEN -||- OPEN -|
|September||- OPEN -||- OPEN -|
|October||- OPEN -||- OPEN -|
|November||- OPEN -||- OPEN -|
|December||- OPEN -||- OPEN -|
4 Different Working Opportunities
2) The Four Seasons Apprenticeship Programme is open to young Maldivians and provides training in all aspects of the hotel and hospitality industry (including placement at our Marine Discovery Centre).
3) Internship positions are for post-graduate marine biology students working towards MSc/PhD qualifications (this page).
4) Our year-round Seamarc Eco-Volunteers Programme is for everyone with a keen interest in marine biology; you pay for accommodation, and start working alongside our marine biologists … and hopefully have some fun along the way !
Do you want to experience life as a marine biologist here in the Maldives ?
Head over to our Marine Savers vacancies to read about the different ways you can work with us - full time, apprentice, intern or volunteer.
Visit our Seamarc Volunteers pages to learn about our Programmes here in the Maldives, open to everyone and operating all year round.
And see more from our Interns and Volunteers in their very own words & photos as part of our Diary / Blog series.